Monday 2 December 2013

DIY: Say NO to Ribbon Fray!

If you are a perfectionist, like me, I'm pretty sure you hate ribbon fray. I personally love using ribbons on craft, invitation and gift wrapping. But when the ribbon ends start to fray, they could ruin the whole look of the design.

I've seen tips on craft blogs, mostly using heating tool or candle. I've tried the candle method but I find it quite time consuming, especially when there is an order of 200 invite sets to be fulfilled. Besides, it also requires a little skill. Otherwise your ribbon could ended up with black mark at the edge or even curled up, if the ribbon melted too fast.

So, here's my favorite no-heat-no-fire-super-cheap method. All you need is a small bottle of clear nail polish.

use dab nail polish to stop ribbon from fraying

Just brush a little nail polish to the end of the ribbon. Then, let it dries..... And you're done!! Super fast and ridiculously simple =)

In case you applied a little too much of the nail polish, like mine here, just trim off the excess when it is dried.

no heat no flame diy tip for frayed ribbon with nail polish
Clear nail polish
I've tried this method on satin, organza, lace... All sorts of fabric ribbon, basically. And it works every time, even on twine, too.

So, there you have it. Hope you find this little tip comes in handy, especially for gift wrapping.

Happy Monday!

2 comments:

  1. Great tip. I'll be sure to try it. I'm visiting from your thread on Etsy Success. I'm another relatively new blogger, looking to meet folks. Stop by if you like.

    ReplyDelete